A. First Thing

First thing you should do when you come to saskatoon
By Sumith Priyashantha

Suppose you have safely landed here in Saskatoon/Canada and found a place to stay at. So…what is next? Here is very important list that you should do first.

Number 1

Whether you are a student or an immigrant, you should first apply for a Social Insurance Number (called it as SIN number). SIN is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. You can find more information on SIN from the following link. You can download an application for a SIN from this website.


You should submit the completed application together with required documents to the Saskatoon Service Canada Centre located at the following address in Saskatoon;

Federal Building
101- 22nd Street East
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

If you need more information on Saskatoon Service Canada Centre, such as telephone numbers, hours of service and a map to this centre, you can use the following link;


Number 2

Next important thing is to register for Saskatchewan health coverage. If you are new to Saskatchewan, you must register for health coverage. As a general rule, coverage will begin on the first day of the third calendar month following the date you established residency here. You can download an application from the following link;


Once you submit an application, you will receive a Saskatchewan Health Services Card by mail. Make sure that you have that card when you go to a doctor. For more details on Saskatchewan health coverage, use the following link;


Number 3

Ok. Next, you should open a bank account (a checking and a saving account). There are number of banks here. You can choice whatever you like. I have included links to some of the banks. You can go to their websites and see whether they offer what you want. Don’t go behaind what they want to offer. I personally bank with RBC and President’s Choice. I like their services and interest rates. I personally don’t like the bank accounts for which I have to pay monthly fee and other service fees.

Royal Bank: http://www.rbc.com/
TD Bank: http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/
Scotia Bank: http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/index/0,,LIDen_SID19,00.html
Bank of Montreal: http://www4.bmo.com/
CIBC Bank: http://www.cibc.com/ca/personal.html
President’s Choice Financial: http://www.pcfinancial.ca/

OK. Now you have SIN number, Health Card and a Bank Account. What is next. Hunting for a Job. Read next Note.

If you have any question, please contact me using my e-mail below;

Next: Second thing you should do – Job Hunting


One Comment Add yours

  1. Oliver says:

    one more important thing shoud be attached to this is apply for the Child Tax Benifit


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s